Singer will show a client-specification Porsche 911, representing the results of its Dynamics and Lightweighting Study (DLS), for the first time in North America, at The Quail, during Monterey Car Week on Friday, August 13, 2021.
DLS represents Singer’s exploration of the ultra-high-performance potential of the air-cooled Porsche 911, on behalf of their clients. All 75 restorations are sold. Operations for the Dynamics and Lightweighting Study are based in the UK.
Singer will also present the latest results of its restoration services from California, referred to as the Hollywood commission, in Bahama Yellow over Forest Green. This car is inspired by the 1969 911E, restored by Singer Founder, Rob Dickinson, in 2003. After being used as a daily driver, the reaction to Rob’s car, also in Bahama Yellow, led to the concept of offering restoration services to air-cooled 911 owners. As such the 1969 car epitomizes the genesis of Singer.
Together these two cars represent both Singer’s origins and its latest work on behalf of discerning owners and drivers.
Combining iconic design with cutting-edge engineering and material science, the two cars embody the ongoing Singer philosophy – A Relentless Pursuit of Excellence.
“The restoration of my 1969 car was an intensely personal project. I drove the hell out of the car everyday around the Hollywood Hills and kept getting stopped to ask if I’d sell it. My answer was always no. But the experience was the seed that led to the founding of Singer as a way to enable other owners to pursue their personal vision for the ultimate air-cooled 911.
We’ve followed that path ever since, and ultimately it led us to undertake the Dynamics and Lightweighting Study. Seeing the first client-specification DLS car, from our operations in the UK, back here in California is a significant milestone for us. Side-by-side with the latest completed restoration from our California facility is a very proud moment and the ultimate testament to the talents of our amazing teams on both sides of the Atlantic and our incredible clients.” – Singer’s Founder and Executive Chairman, Rob Dickinson
About the Dynamics & Lightweighting Study
The Dynamics & Lightweighting Study originated with a request from Singer’s clients to further evolve restoration services for owners of the air-cooled 911. No more than 75 cars will be restored in the UK, each as a bespoke commission for its owner. The starting point is a Type 964 Porsche 911.
In cooperation with Williams Advanced Engineering, Formula One technology allowed the development of aero-optimized carbon fiber bodywork, an extensive lightweighting program and a unique, 4.0L naturally aspirated, 4-valves per cylinder, air-cooled, flat six, developing 500 hp at 9000 rpm. A formation of additional technical partners included: Multimatic, Bosch, Michelin, Brembo, Hewland and BBS Motorsport.
High levels of personalization are available for both exterior and interior, allowing each owner to tailor the precise specifications of their restoration.
About Unico and Hollywood Commissions
Specifications for the Unico commission
- Naturally aspirated, 4.0L, air-cooled flat six, with 4-valves per cylinder
- 500 HP at 9000 rpm
- Bespoke double-wishbone front suspension and lightweight rear suspension
- Lightweight magnesium gearbox and magnesium center-lock wheels
- CCM-R carbon ceramic brakes with bespoke aluminium monobloc calipers
- Titanium and Inconel exhaust system
- Bespoke Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires
- ABS, traction control and electronic stability control with selectable drives modes
- Nose lift, lightweight air-conditioning, heated front screen
- Aero-optimized carbon fiber bodywork in Absinthe Green with Nickel polished bright trim
- Light-ghosted side stripes with lettering in Blood Orange
- Lightweight carbon fiber seats in Blood Orange with Nickel polished grommets
Specifications for the Hollywood Commission
- Naturally aspirated, 4.0L, air-cooled, flat six
- Manual 6-speed transmission with RWD
- Carbon-fiber bodywork in Bahama Yellow with light-ghosted side stripes and green lettering
- Lightweight track seats in Forest Green with bespoke, leather-weave seat centers and brass grommets
- Michelin PS4S tires
- Carbon-ceramic brakes, calipers in Nato Green with white lettering
- External center-mounted fuel filler and side-mounted oil filler
- Titanium sports exhaust system