With the new BMW R 18, BMW Motorrad now enters the cruiser segment. Like no other BMW motorcycle before it, this model stands entirely in the tradition of historical BMW motorcycles – both technically and in terms of design style. It borrows from famous models such as the BMW R 5 both technologically and visually, shifting the focus back onto the motorcycle essentials: purist, no-frills technology and the boxer engine as the epicenter of riding pleasure. Simply put, the R 18 combines classic design with clear-cut, yet contemporary technology, to create a fascinating overall concept – offering a riding experience that is as cultivated as it is emotional.
The most powerful BMW boxer engine of all time with abundant torque
The centerpiece of the new BMW R 18 is a newly-developed 2-cylinder boxer engine – the “Big Boxer”. Both its impressive appearance and its technology reflect a continuation of the traditional air-cooled boxer engines that have offered an inspiring riding experience for more than seven decades, since BMW Motorrad began production in 1923. The most powerful 2-cylinder boxer engine ever used in motorcycle series production has a displacement of 1802 cc. The peak power output is 91 hp at 4,750 rpm and 116 lbs-ft at 3,000 rpm. Torque is abundant with over 110 lbs-ft of torque available from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm, combined with a full, resonant sound.
The BMW R 18 First Edition: exclusive look in paint and chrome
The new R 18 will be offered worldwide as an exclusive R 18 First Edition right from the start of production, with a standard model reserved additionally for certain markets. It combines the R 18 look with exclusive equipment features in a classic black finish with white pinstriped paintwork. Other highlights include numerous chrome surfaces, a seat badge and a “First Edition” chrome clasp on the side covers.
Conversion-friendly design as a prerequisite for straightforward customizing and individualization
More so than virtually any other motorcycle, the new R 18 offers a highly conversion-friendly design – a focus even in the early design phases of the basic motorcycle layout. As a result, it is equipped with an easily removable rear frame and a simple-to-dismantle painted part set. Carefully conceived attachment points for the hydraulic lines of the brake, clutch and cable harness likewise allow easy installation of higher or lower handlebars in conjunction with matching hydraulic lines and cable harnesses. In addition, the visible valve covers (cylinder head covers) and the belt cover (engine housing cover) are designed in such a way that they are located outside the oil chamber, making them very easy to change.
Customizing parts and Roland Sands design collections “Machined” and “2-Tone Black” for the new R 18.
The BMW Motorrad equipment range offers a maximum selection of individualization options with which to adapt the R 18 to personal taste and preferences. The wide range of different parts available from the program of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories allows individual customizing that significantly alter the character of the R 18. For the market launch of the new R 18, two different design collections of milled aluminum parts are available, created in collaboration with Roland Sands Design: “Machined” and “2-Tone-Black”.
The highlights of the new BMW R 18:
• Iconic style blending modern technology with authentic materials.
• Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1802 cc.
• Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4,750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm (116 lbs-ft) at 3,000 rpm.
• More than 150 Nm (110 lbs-ft) available at all times from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm.
• Exposed driveshaft based on the classic R 5 model.
• Elaborately crafted double-loop steel tube frame.
• Rear swing arm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
• Telescopic fork with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut featuring travel-dependent
• Harmonious ergonomics for relaxed riding and optimum control.
• Disc brakes front and rear, with wire-spoked wheels.
• State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
• Adaptive turning light for even better illumination of the road when cornering as a factory
• Classically designed circular instrument with integrated display.
• Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by remote control.
• Two standard riding modes, ASC and MSR.
• Reverse assist for convenient maneuvering and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as factory options.
• The R 18 First Edition: exclusive look in paint and chrome.
• Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection.