Mecum Auctions, the world’s largest collector car auction company, kicked off its October Takeover on a strong note this past weekend in Las Vegas, with the annual auction event finding continued success and total overall sales that reached $22.3 million. With 590 vehicles crossing the block Oct. 7-9 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, the 2021 auction saw high-quality offerings lead to active bidding both on-site and online, resulting in 508 vehicles hammering sold for a strong 86% sell-through rate.
While a 2006 Ford GT (Lot S160) claimed the auction’s highest bid at $374,000, top sales in Las Vegas were led by customs crafted from known and loved classics, with two of the auction’s top sellers being licensed Eleanor® Tribute Editions. The first of the two was a 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot S85.1) that brought $346,500, and the other was a 1967 Fastback (Lot S109.1) that achieved $275,000. Other customs to claim top dollars included a 1959 Chevrolet Apache Custom Pickup (Lot S170) that sold for $198,000, a 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot F132) that was featured at the 2019 SEMA show and garnered $159,500, and even a 1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV Batmobile Replica (Lot S108) that claimed a $176,000 top bid.
Meanwhile, muscle-car era classics and more modern machines filled out the top 10 sales list, with a Royal Bobcat-modified 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible (Lot S110) claiming a $184,250 sale, a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S176) seeing bids rise to $154,000, a 2000 Rolls-Royce Corniche Convertible (Lot F184) serving as the sole non-American car selling for $151,250 and a 2006 Dodge Viper VOI9 (Lot S60) garnering $148,500. The Pacific Northwest Collection at No Reserve also found success, with the entire assemblage selling for a combined total of $531,300.
The complete top 10 collector car sales at the 2021 Las Vegas auction include:
- 2006 Ford GT (Lot S160) at $374,000
- 1968 Ford Mustang Custom Fastback (Lot S85.1) at $346,500
- 1967 Ford Mustang Custom Fastback (Lot S109.1) at $275,000
- 1959 Chevrolet Apache Custom Pickup (Lot S170) at $198,000
- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible (Lot S110) at $184,250
- 1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV Batmobile Replica (Lot S108) at $176,000
- 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot F132) at $159,500
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S176) at $154,000
- 2000 Rolls-Royce Corniche Convertible (Lot F184) at $151,250
- 2005 Dodge Viper VOI9 (Lot S60) at $148,500