Mecum’s June 2018 Vintage and Antique Motorcycle Auction held at the South Point Hotel & Casino saw overall sales totals reach more than $3 million as 271 motorcycles changed hands in just two days.
Two prewar cycles tied for the auction’s top sales honors as each sold for $88,000. The first was a 1929 Cleveland Tornado Four Cylinder (Lot S101) from the Jim Lattin Collection that boasted extreme rarity and impressive ownership history. The other top seller was a 1913 Harley-Davidson 9A 5-35 Single (Lot S156) featuring original paint with leather belt drive and a professionally restored engine. Next in line among top sales was a stunning 1912 Indian Big Base 8-Valve (Lot F150) that brought $82,500, followed by a one-of-one 2008 NCR Ducati Mike Hailwood TT (Lot S76) that sold for $77,000.
The Ducati brand played a significant role at the 2018 June motorcycle auction. Not only did two examples of the venerable marque land among the auction’s top sales, but additionally, a one-of-a-kind custom 2017 Ducati Scrambler Icon (Lot S163) designed by celebrity tattoo artist GRIME was offered for sale with all proceeds benefiting the Shriners Hospital for Children. The unique motorcycle was customized as part of the Ducati North America’s Inaugural “Maverick” program, and the warm reception it received at the June event translated to a $42,900 sale for the Shriners organization.
“Once again, high-quality motorcycles saw their status confirmed on the auction block,” Greg Arnold, motorcycle auction manager, commented. “Mecum Auctions consistently brings the strongest lineup to be found anywhere.”
The complete top 10 motorcycle sales at the June 2018 Vintage and Antique Motorcycle Auction include:
- 1929 Cleveland Tornado Four Cylinder (Lot S101) at $88,000
- 1913 Harley-Davidson 9A 5-35 Single (Lot S156) at $88,000
- 1912 Indian Big Base 8-valve (Lot F150) at $82,500
- 2008 NCR Ducati Mike Hailwood TT (Lot S76) at $77,000
- 1942 Harley-Davidson FL (Lot S165) at $77,000
- 1975 Ducati 750SS (Lot S117) at $71,500
- 1937 Indian Chief with Sidecar (Lot F168) at $66,000
- 1914 Harley-Davidson 11K (Lot S143) at $55,000
- 1959 BMW R60 with TR500 Steib Sidecar (Lot S194) at $55,000
- 1929 BMW R62 (Lot S88) at $50,600