Mecum Auctions is well known for setting records and taking on never-before-achieved challenges, and the company took it to another level this past weekend by holding two auctions simultaneously in two different cities located a full 600 miles apart. One of the events, Mecum Chicago 2022, was held Oct. 13-15 in Schaumburg, Illinois, and brought $15.2 million in total sales, while the other, Mecum Chattanooga 2022, was held Oct. 14-15 at the Chattanooga Convention Center in Tennessee and reached overall sales totals of $21.2 million. In all, the auction house achieved a grand total of $36.4 million in total overall sales for the weekend with 1,052 vehicles sold of the 1,433 offered.
Top sales in Chattanooga were led by two 4-speed convertibles: a 1968 Shelby GT500KR (Lot S125.1) that achieved a $302,500 selling price and a 1957 Chevrolet Corvette (Lot S123) that sold for $220,000. Two modern sport utility vehicles followed in top sales with a 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor (Lot S84.1) with just 32.6 miles selling for $209,000 and a 2020 Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG (Lot S282) with a Brabus 800 kit and the AMG Night Package demanding $187,000.
The auction’s headlining Firehouse Find Collection saw all 70 of its vehicles sell for an aggregate $2 million, while the 3,668-mile 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider (Lot S176) from The Exotic Low Mile Collection became the auction’s fifth highest seller at $183,700. The 16-car Blackmon Collection sold in its entirety for $321,200 overall.
The complete top 10 collector car sales at the Mecum Chattanooga 2022 auction include:
- 1968 Shelby GT500KR Convertible (Lot S125.1) at $302,500
- 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S123) at $220,000
- 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor (Lot S84.1) at $209,000
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG (Lot S282) at $187,000
- 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider (Lot S176) at $183,700
- 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible (Lot S107) at $181,500
- 1953 Packard Caribbean Convertible (Lot S139) at $165,000
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette 70th Anniversary Convertible (Lot S94.1) at $159,500
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S192) at $145,750
- 2022 Ford Shelby GT500 (Lot S118.1) at $137,500
SUVs proved to be hot on the auction block in Chicago as well, where top sales were led by a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Apocalypse Hellfire 6×6 (Lot S193.1) that sold for $198,000, and two 2022 Ford Bronco Raptors (Lots S103 and S85.1) also made the top seller’s list bringing $170,500 and $143,000 for top-seller slots No. 3 and 6, respectively. A multiple-time Top Flight-winning 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S100) became the Chicago auction’s second highest selling vehicle with a sale price of $181,500, and two 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 models (Lots S129 and S119) grabbed back-to-back spots on the top-10 sellers list bringing $132,000 and $126,500.
Chuck Comer’s collection of Corvettes and more was well-received at the Chicago auction with the entire group of 16 cars selling for a total of $412,500, and The Jimmy V Collection offering also did quite well with all eight of its vehicles changing hands for a total of $445,000.
The complete top 10 collector car sales at the Mecum Chicago 2022 auction include:
- 2021 Jeep Gladiator Apocalypse Hellfire 6×6 (Lot S193.1) at $198,000
- 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S100) at $181,500
- 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor (Lot S103) at $170,500
- 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible (Lot S163) at $167,750
- 1962 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster (Lot S151) at $165,000
- 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor (Lot S85.1) at $143,000
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 (Lot S129) at $132,000
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 (Lot S119) at $126,500
- 1968 Dodge Charger R/T (Lot S132.1) at $126,500
- 2019 Ford Shelby Super Snake (Lot F85) at $104,500
For access to complete auction results, sign up for a free MyMecum account at Mecum.com. Mecum’s next live auction event will be held Nov. 10-12 in Las Vegas featuring approximately 1,000 classic and collector vehicles, followed by the Mecum Kansas City 2022 auction in Kansas City, Missouri, Dec. 1-3. For more details on upcoming auctions, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com, or call (262) 275-5050 for more information.