Acura Motorsports today released the first official images and details for the all-new, electrified Acura ARX-06 prototype sports car, which will make its competition debut next January at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
The latest in a line of successful Acura endurance racing prototypes, the ARX-06 features Acura-specific bodywork and aerodynamics based around an all-new ORECA LMDh chassis which utilizes an electrified hybrid power unit featuring an equally new, bespoke twin-turbocharged 2.4 liter V6 internal combustion engine designed, developed and manufactured by Honda Performance Development [HPD] the racing arm for Acura Motorsports in North America.
The public unveiling will take place Friday, August 19, at The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering, in Carmel, California.
“Precision Crafted Performance is at the heart of everything Acura does,” said Jon Ikeda, vice president and Acura brand officer. “If you’re a performance brand, you have to go racing. It’s that simple. Both the existing ARX-05 prototype and our production-based NSX GT3 have proven to be race- and championship-winning designs on tracks all across North America. Now, with the introduction of the new, electrified Acura ARX-06, we look forward to facing off against other premium automotive brands from around the world – and continuing our winning ways.”
“HPD has 30 years of race-winning and championship-winning history,” said David Salters, HPD President and Technical Director. “Not only in endurance sports car racing, but in developing championship-winning Honda Civic-based racing cars, the powertrain for the Baja Ridgeline race truck, Formula Regional Americas and Formula 4 powertrains with the Type R engine, and of course the Indy 500 and the IndyCar Series.
“We are HPD. We race, we develop our engineers and technology through racing. We have an amazing and unique racing legacy, both past and present. It’s what we do as Acura’s – and Honda’s – North American racing organization. We are looking forward to the challenge of racing Porsche, BMW and GM in IMSA’s pinnacle GTP championship. We are very cognizant this is a big step for us. We have a lot to learn, but that is why race.”
“The new Acura ARX-06 has elements of our Indy-winning technology, Honda Formula One technology and Rolex 24-winning technology in it. This was achieved using HPD’s world-class simulation, design, development and manufacturing technologies; that our own engineers have developed, tested and validated. We are very proud of that. Now the challenge and hard work really starts, including grueling 24 hour simulations, and learning how to maximize all aspects of performance.”
Acura ARX-06 Details
- Will compete in the 2023 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
- Carbon fiber monocoque chassis manufactured by ORECA
- Acura-specific bodywork, aerodynamics and cooling systems
- Double wishbone, pushrod suspension front and rear, Penske dampers
- FIA-specified roll cage structure, carbon fiber driver’s seat shell, six-point safety harness, fresh air intake system, on-board fire suppression system
- Bespoke Acura 2.4-liter, twin-turbocharged, direct injected V6 internal combustion engine designed, developed and manufactured by HPD, mated to IMSA-specified electric Bosch Motor Generator Unit (MGU) and Williams Advanced Engineering battery pack
- IMSA-specified XTrac six-speed, sequential, paddle-operated transmission, rear-wheel drive
- Chassis dimensions: 5100mm length x 2000mm width x 1060mm height (above reference plane); 3148mm wheelbase