Mecum Auctions’ first three live auction events in 2022 reached a record-setting total of nearly $300 million, and the auction house’s most recent event in Houston, Texas, kept the streak going strong with another record total coming in at $34.5 million. The 2022 auction, held March 31-April 2, saw 1,047 vehicles cross the auction block with an 86% sell-through rate achieved.
Individual sales were topped by an officially licensed Eleanor® Tribute Edition 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot S140) that brought $253,000, followed by another Hollywood star in the form of a 1967 Pontiac Monkeemobile Replica (Lot S64) that brought $242,000. The Monkeemobile and the auction’s third-highest seller, a 1959 Cadillac Ghostbusters Ecto 1 Replica (Lot F6.1) that sold for $220,000, both hailed from the auction-headlining Triple J Ranch Auto Collection at No Reserve, as did top-seller No. 10, a 2005 Lamborghini Mucielago Roadster (Lot S29), which sold for $162,250. In total, 170 cars from the Triple J Ranch Auto collection sold for an aggregate exceeding $7.37 million.
Other private collection highlights included offerings from Dr. Sonny Rush, an assemblage that saw two of its vehicles land spots among Houston’s top sellers: a 3,480-mile 1991 Ferrari Testarossa (Lot F162.1) that sold for $203,500 and a 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (Lot F161.1) that brought $189,750. The Texas Metal Collection brought some truly heavy hitters to the auction block as well, and a highly modified Platinum Edition, custom-lifted 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Pickup (Lot S136.1) from the group nabbed spot No. 8 among top sales bringing $187,000.
The complete top 10 collector car sales at Mecum Houston 2022 include:
- 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot S140) at $253,000
- 1967 Pontiac Monkeemobile Replica (Lot S64) at $242,000
- 1959 Cadillac Ghostbusters Ecto 1 Replica (Lot F6.1) at $220,000
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S95) at $203,500
- 1991 Ferrari Testarossa (Lot F162.1) at $203,500
- 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (Lot F161.1) at $189,750
- 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon (Lot S76) at $187,000
- 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Pickup (Lot S136.1) at $187,000
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air (Lot S192) at $178,750
- 2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (Lot S29) at $162,250